Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Shopping Hangover

I can't think of a better name for it.  Does it happen to anyone else?  I guess I should explain what "it" is.  I go shopping, doesn't matter where, could be a department store, a thrift shop, online even, and purchase clothes or accessories for myself.  I am super excited about the stuff I bought.  Hurray!  I can't wait til it gets here (if online shopping) or I can't wait to wear it (if bought from a store and I have it in hand). 

But then I settle down and the cloud of shopping high fades away, and I am left with my shopping hangover.  I hate all my purchases.  Yes, I don't like a single piece.  Okay, maybe one, or two.  But the majority I definitely don't like and will never wear.  If they are from a regular store, I might let them sit in the back of my closet, banished there and probably never to see the light of day again.  If they are a thrift store purchase, I will most likely donate them right back to it. 

Quite stupid, isn't it?!  To buy something just to give it back.  But at least if I'm buying from a charity thrift store it's a good cause for my money.  What sickens me is the money I spend on new items.  Like the glasses I just ordered. 

Clearly Contacts was having a one day sale, where they were giving away free glasses frames, you just had to pay shipping and any costs of upgrading the lenses.  Well, I totally went for that.  My last glasses cost me somewhere around $250 (actually, now that I think about it, my Mother-in-law bought them for me, She's great!).  But that was 2 years ago, and that was definitely a case of "shopping hangover".  And the sad thing is I obviously tried them on.  Picked them out with my eyes wide open.  But once I got them home, totally didn't like them.  And since I was out of contacts, I wore them exclusively for a year.  Nobody can tell me that I don't sacrifice to save money.

So I jumped at the chance for free (relatively) glasses.  I ended up paying $43 since I had to upgrade my lenses.  The free lenses that came with the glasses don't go much past -2.00.  I was very excited about ordering them, though I knew that my husband wouldn't like them.

But now looking at the picture of the ones I ordered, I don't think I like them either!  I am so fickle, or something!  I guess I'll just have to wait until they get here, which should be tomorrow, so maybe you'll be hearing from me again, letting you know the verdict. 

No comments: