Monday, August 1, 2011

Panic Attack Mom in All the Wrong Moments

Last year I took a first aid course hoping to help me be prepared for the worst.  And also to maybe lessen the amount of freak-out-panicking I do when something happens to the children, like falling off a chair (and not even getting a scratch).  Because I do freak out.  A lot.  I see them fall or about to fall and I suddenly envision their broken bodies on the floor, limbs all turned out in the wrong directions.  A pretty vision...ok, so not.

So I thought, 'First aid will help me to do what to do and how to react in these situations."  But I don't think that my panic lessened any.  I am "trained" to do CPR and all that on adults and children, but I don't know if I would trust myself.  I get in a bad situation, and just freeze! 

So today we went over to a good friend's house where they have a swimming pool.  It was a hot day so it was nice to get in the water.  Well, before any of us even got in, Abby decides to take the first leap in.  Without any water wings or a life jacket.  I was on the other side of the pool, while Abby had been walking with her friends.  I heard a splash, and looked over to see who had jumped in, not really cluing in that it was my flotation-device-less child.  Then I saw her head pop up, and my friend jump in after her at the same time.

Thinking of it now gives me chills, but at the time, if I'm honest, I wasn't really as panicky or concerned as I probably should have been.  I am so very thankful for the quick thinking of my dear friend, and also thankful that my daughter can actually get to the surface herself.  She usually uses water wings, so she's used to treading water and such.  And I'm so thankful that God is watching over her.  Maybe her angel gave her a push up. 

There were no more crazy incidents today (Thank You so much God!) and they had a great time. 

1 comment:

Diana S. said...

That is pretty scary. I have had the same thing happen to me twice. (my youngest is stubborn LOL).

I too found the situation surreal and as if I were moving in slow motion. I was the first to respond both times but I had no panic... only a strange calmness as I plunged in, fully clothed and scooped my all too eager child from the water.

Hugs to you! :)